BCO committee greeted by ‘demonstrators’ at place making meeting
By Stacey Meadwell on 20 April, 2012
The demo was a stunt by Cathedral staff, who were hosting the meeting about place making. Cathedral prides itself in its initiatives to create communities at it regeneration projects and has even attracted the attention of celebrity-chef Jamie Oliver at one project in Deptford.
Creative Director Martyn Evan’s told me yesterday that many developers think place making is just about making a place nice whereas Cathedral’s approach is about creating a sense of place and attracting people to regeneration sites from the outset, before development has even started.
In Deptford the company paid for a disused railway carriage to be turned into a community cafe and has leased railway arches on peppercorn rents to local start ups. As a result the blossoming business community organised its own outdoor cinema which caught the attention of Mr Oliver.
Look out for music events at Cathedral Group and joint venutre partner Development Securities’ North West London regeneration project on the site of the former EMI record factory in Hayes. Who knows one of the Beatles might turn up?
About Stacey MeadwellJournalist on EG's regional team for 15 years looking after all our regional features, EG London, the Focus blog, regional receptions and awards. Always on the look out for the next hot topic, profile or case study so get in touch if you have an idea email@example.com
- Get involved: Estates Gazette’s West Midlands Focus – details and deadlines
- Estates Gazette forward features list for 2016
- Guest comment: Is retail safe from the restaurant juggernaut in Glasgow city centre?
- Mailbox posts successful transformation
- Get involved: Estates Gazette’s South East Focus – details and deadline
- Nadia Elghamry on More woes for Cardiff’s CBD as business rates review announced
- Stacey Meadwell on Pics: EG Leeds Focus reception
- Tim Catterall on Pics: EG Leeds Focus reception
- Nadia Elghamry on Is Sunderland the worst UK business location?
- Paul Swinney on Is Sunderland the worst UK business location?
Subscribe to EG
Subscribe now to Estates Gazette magazine for the very latest industry news